Some people theorize that one extra factor that made the Titanic sink was added weight from loads and loads of time-travelers attempting to prevent it from sinking.
Kurt Vonnegut’s Rules for the Short Story
1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
4. Every sentence must do one of two things–reveal character or advance the action.
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
6. Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them–in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.
- via advicetowriters.com (via kadrey)
Good suggestions. (There are no rules.)
Konrad Sybilski | http://konradsybilski.com
I graduated from graphics at the Polish-Japanase Institute of Information Technology. I’m a flexible graphic designer, enjoying every aspect of design, whatever it is. I’m in love with posters, typography, logos and illustration. Always open for new projects, freelance and exhibitions, so feel free to contact me.
Last week I was assigned the task of entering Tropfest, which the largest short film competition in the world! No pressure, right? The New Zealand branch has only been running for the last couple of years, but it has a $10 000 first prize, which is more than enough of an incentive to enter!
However, I still had some reservations.
In the Tropfest terms and conditions it states,
My brain went “NON NEGOTIABLE? ANARCHY! ..wait does this mean I’m one of her favourite blogs? Aww!”
Alright alright. I like…
And I’m going to be lazy and tag
primvla, dapperfly, shadow-puppets, kindofamazing, 2012315, youaintrunningshit, nenalata, chelsealora, derling-darlest, @shedresseskindaprochoice so I can also publicly lament that I have so many more than ten favourite blogs (but also that these guys are all super rad).